Bill Gates is the founder of one of the largest technology corporations, Microsoft. At the moment he is not involved in the company’s affairs, but he owns a large block of its shares. He devotes all his time to the family trust fund.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust’s top 5 positions:
- Berkshire Hathaway ($BRK). The investment company of Gates’ close friend Warren Buffett. The company owns everything from furniture factories to Apple. Berkshire Hathaway does not pay dividends, which is why its stock has shown good growth.
- Waste Management ($WM). Though the company deals in garbage, its stock is far from garbage. In addition to a great dividend, it’s up 129% in 5 years.
- Caterpillar ($CAT). One of the world’s largest manufacturers of construction and mining equipment. Up 113.5% over 5 years and a 2.2% dividend make the company a “favorite” of all sorts of funds, despite the pandemic.
- Canadian National Railway ($CNI). Another hedge fund favorite. Gates has been investing in it since 2002. The company pays a modest dividend of 1.58%.
- Walmart ($WMT). Quiet Harbor in times of crises, which is among the ten most profitable companies in the U.S.. Now actively developing e-commerce. Since 2016, it has grown by 70%.